Gillespie and I: A Novel

Gillespie and I - Jane  Harris This review is going to be tricky to write because Gillespie and I is one of those books where the less you know the better and knowing too much would completely ruin the reading experience. It starts in London in 1933 where elderly spinster Harriet Baxter is writing a memoir about the artist Ned Gillespie, who she met during Glasgow's Great Exhibition of 1888. Subsequently she became close to the whole Gillespie family as they went through a traumatic and scandalous time.And that's all I'm going to say! Harris completely fooled me as I thought this book was going to be a cosy Victorian read but believe me, it's anything but. Harriet Baxter is one of the best examples of characterisation and unreliable narration I've come across in a long time. This is a book to make you question what you think you know about the characters and their motivations, to unsettle you. It's quite a large book but I was completely glued to it, could not put it down, desperate to see if my suspicions about Harriet were correct or not.So you're all just going to have to trust me on this one as I don't want to spoil anyone's reading experience - this book is amazing. Go and grab a copy and get started!